• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

I love credit cards so much! v6.0 - 2023 (see first page for add'l details)

It's been a happy travel hacking week for me. I used the Air France miles from the canceled Tahiti flight to book our flights to Paris next summer in business class. Then I booked our flights from London back home in J as well. I decided to use the Amex MR 30% transfer bonus to BA and take advantage of using less miles. Hotels are also taken care of. We are doing the Hyatt Etoile in Paris with a suite upgrade and then the Hyatt London Churchill, also with a suite upgrade and on the 9th floor balcony rooms! Nice to have the bigger aspects of the trip crossed off.

Reviving the high yield savings discussion - for those with funds in Vanguard, they are offering a new “Vanguard Cash Plus” account at 4.5% APY. This was offered via a pop up on both my PC and my phone - says it is a “pilot being offered to certain clients” but looks like it’s pretty widespread.
Got that popup when I logged in this morning. The federal money market which is the brokerage settlement account is currently paying 5.07 so I ignored it.

Hi, I posted Saturday but got no responses so I'm hoping to get some advice for a next card.

Hi everyone
Due to an unexpected car repair 3k we met p2's bonvoy msr sooner than we thought. i met msr on my cic already so with another 15k coming up by Sept, what to go for next!

last 24 months:

P1:
CSP 6/22
IHG 10/22
Amex Plat 7/23
Ink Biz 5/23 I have unlimited and cash, can't remember which

P2
Venture X 3/22
Lowes 9/22
Bonvoy 6/23
Ink within 2 years, more than a year

we have Aspire with P2 as AU for26 years, always get 15k fnc

currently have
AA 106k and 88k miles
HH 400k
UR 300k
Marriott 66k + 5 fnc
MR new

possible Virgin cruise next year, using AA to Greece. (economy is fine)

several trips to wdw on frontier with dvc we own, I have AP

thinking of ink referal to build UR but that's only 8k msr so would need 2 and worried about velocity

will use amex plat hotel fhr for weekend in nyc so that's covered

thinking united to build miles back up but we won't use baggage entitlement but maybe once so not worth an af I think

other ideas?

i really appreciate all the advice.

Hi, I posted Saturday but got no responses so I'm hoping to get some advice for a next card.

Hi everyone
Due to an unexpected car repair 3k we met p2's bonvoy msr sooner than we thought. i met msr on my cic already so with another 15k coming up by Sept, what to go for next!

last 24 months:

P1:
CSP 6/22
IHG 10/22
Amex Plat 7/23

P2
Venture X 3/22
Lowes 9/22
Bonvoy 6/23

currently have
AA 106k and 88k miles
HH 400k
UR 300k
Marriott 66k + 5 fnc
MR new

thinking of ink referal to build UR but that's only 8k msr so would need 2 and worried about velocity

thinking united to build miles back up but we won't use baggage entitlement but maybe once so not worth an af I think

other ideas?

I would 100% use support links to get yourself and P2 the elevated $8k CIP. Both of your velocities look fine, as long as credit lines are in check.

BTW, I really wish car buying in the US was like in Japan. It's such a pleasant experience there, here it's awful lol.
tbh i own a tesla now owned vw/audis/honda Acuras, etc, best car experience and is quickest, I'm not going back to ice or a dealership (No offense to your friend) I don't miss anything about being there 4+ hours beside the negotiation of the price (I love getting a deal). DW is also on the Tesla bandwagon until something better comes along. My Tesla took me 30 minutes in and out with a trade because I inspected it based on stuff I found on Reddit (about defects and i had none).
Also doesn't hurt that it cost me 12.5 cents to go 5 miles unless it's in the summer.

Friends of the family on my dad's side owned a dealer for many years. It was great for us because we got great deals on cars during that time. It was my dad's best friend so we pretty much got them at dealer cost.

Anyway, we also learned some tricks through them. Sometimes when they offer 0%, they don't discount the car much, if at all (or as much as if you would have paid cash). Maybe that was not the case for y'all, but I have noticed this when buying cars since then. Could negotiate $3K off, but then if asking for the 0% offer no more discount. Just FYI.

Maybe things have changed, it's been a while for me as my last 3 cars have been leases (in case anyone is interested, great community here if wanting to get into auto lease hacking: https://leasehackr.com)
My dad was a lifelong Ford engineer, so even though he passed away, we still get his cost through his wife. So we pay well under dealer cost and still get whatever deals are offered.

tbh i own a tesla now owned vw/audis/honda Acuras, etc, best car experience and is quickest, I'm not going back to ice or a dealership (No offense to your friend) I don't miss anything about being there 4+ hours beside the negotiation of the price (I love getting a deal). DW is also on the Tesla bandwagon until something better comes along. My Tesla took me 30 minutes in and out with a trade because I inspected it based on stuff I found on Reddit (about defects and i had none).
Also doesn't hurt that it cost me 12.5 cents to go 5 miles unless it's in the summer.
No offense taken, I loathe the dealership car-buying experience in the US. Lots of smoke and mirrors and confusion. My preference would be for a set price and you just pick it up straight from the manufacturer, no haggling involved, no hidden anything. Like how Tesla does it, all the car makers should switch to that model. It exists in other countries for makers other than Tesla.

We drive electric cars also, but not Tesla (don't like the CEO lol). Not going back to ICE either, I'm quite happy with my VW ID.4 but I wish I didn't have to get it from a dealer.

Now if this little beauty comes into the market close enough to when my lease end, I'm all over it:
🤣🤣🤣

Last edited:
Np offense taken, I loathe the dealership car-buying experience in the US. Lots of smoke and mirrors and confusion. My preference would be for a set price and you just pick it up straight from the manufacturer, no haggling involved, no hidden anything. Like how Tesla does it, all the car makers should switch to that model. It exists in other countries for makers other than Tesla.

We drive electric cars also, but not Tesla (don't like the CEO lol). Not going back to ICE either, I'm quite happy with my VW ID.4 but I wish I didn't have to get it from a dealer.

Now if this little beauty come into the market close enough to when my lease end, I'm all over it:
🤣🤣🤣
Oh my, we have been leasing an Ioniq 5 for 6 weeks now, but no way I'd drive a Disney mobile! I did have to play a couple of dealers off each other to get the best lease price, hate that part too. Wouldn't get a Tesla for the same reason as you.

Oh my, we have been leasing an Ioniq 5 for 6 weeks now, but no way I'd drive a Disney mobile! I did have to play a couple of dealers off each other to get the best lease price, hate that part too. Wouldn't get a Tesla for the same reason as you.
I already wear a mickey mouse tie to work/class (I teach at a university), so no shame left in me anyway!

By the way, how are you liking the Ioniq 5? I was intrigued by it and was considering it as my next lease even before the Disney100 edition was announced.

Hi everyone

last 24 months:

P1:
CSP 6/22
IHG 10/22
Amex Plat 7/23

P2
Venture X 3/22
Lowes 9/22
Bonvoy 6/23

currently have
AA 106k and 88k miles
HH 400k
UR 300k
Marriott 66k + 5 fnc
MR new

other ideas?

2x CIP for 200,000 UR or if neither of you have had the Business Platinum card before there's an offer for 170k MR for 15k spend: https://www.americanexpress.com/us/...ly/business-platinum-charge-card/62782-9-0/#/

By the way, how are you liking the Ioniq 5? I was intrigued by it and was considering it as my next lease even before the Disney100 edition was announced.
Well it has only been 6 weeks and 1000 miles, but so far we like it a lot. Have just scratched the surface of all the menus, i still need to figure out the cruise control which I haven't needed yet. (our other cars are 13 and old one was 15 years old so not much tech.) They gave us 2 years free charging at Electrify America fast chargers, and we decided to have a level 2 charger installed in the garage.

Well it has only been 6 weeks and 1000 miles, but so far we like it a lot. Have just scratched the surface of all the menus, i still need to figure out the cruise control which I haven't needed yet. (our other cars are 13 and old one was 15 years old so not much tech.) They gave us 2 years free charging at Electrify America fast chargers, and we decided to have a level 2 charger installed in the garage.
Nice about the 2 yrs at EA, we got 3 with our VW. Glad to know car makers are still offering that, hopefully they will next Spring when I'll need a new car

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter