I love credit cards so much! v6.0 - 2023 (see first page for add'l details)

Thanks to you both. I canceled and rebooked. I have one more question. From what I've read a companion can be booked as long as any seat is available. Even if it's at a higher rate. Is this true? If so it seems like the best course of action is to monitor the flight daily and see if it drops again in price. Then If I see it starting to fill up I can book the companion when I'm done changing for a lower rate. Would this work? I get that there is a risk of the entire flight selling out but I'm willing to accept that as I check at least once a day.
This is true. This is how I usually book tickets for P2 who holds the CP. I did once encounter a sold out flight where I couldn't add my ticket as the companion, but I didn't panic (well, I did a little) and kept checking back and eventually a seat opened up. YMMV. I hate calling into SW because it takes so much time compared to just checking online daily, plus I don't have the voice to impersonate P2. Flights to popular vacation destinations are ones I would consider adding the companion at the time of booking, but even then I rarely do so. If I'm actually concerned about a flight selling out, I'll book the ticket with my own SW RRs knowing I can cancel as needed.

Thanks to you both. I canceled and rebooked. I have one more question. From what I've read a companion can be booked as long as any seat is available. Even if it's at a higher rate. Is this true? If so it seems like the best course of action is to monitor the flight daily and see if it drops again in price. Then If I see it starting to fill up I can book the companion when I'm done changing for a lower rate. Would this work? I get that there is a risk of the entire flight selling out but I'm willing to accept that as I check at least once a day.
Our family flies with two companions and I also check prices regularly.

I usually leave the CPs off until I see WGAs from my flight or other similar flights that day selling out. Once those start to go, I assume the chance of price drops has gone down considerably and add the CPs.

That said, I have called to make changes with CPs on a flight and it's not that much hassle, maybe a few more minutes on the phone versus it taking a few seconds online. So, if you want to have those seats guaranteed, you're not talking about adding hours on hold or anything like that.

Quick question about a direct DVC purchase and the CSR. DH has a CSP. We have one final payment coming due on a direct DVC purchase. If DH product changes to a CSR, does anyone know if a DVC purchase codes as travel to get the $300 travel credit and 3% in UR? Thanks!

Oh hi, it's me. I'm the problem, it's me. The girl who got sick in Japan and was supposed to leave for Hawaii today. After 3 years Covid finally caught me. 😭 I've pushed my flight back a few days and am trying to get antivirals and hopefully join my friend mid-trip. Ughhhhh.

Hilton FNC extension DP. Just tried to chat to use an FNC that expires 2 days before the check-in date I wanted. Chat agent said they can't extend until 14 days before expiration. So HUCA'd (called this time) and no issue at all, agent didn't even mention the expiration. I see the expiration is now revised to the check-out date.

I've read that they can do up to 30 days past the expiration. Glad it worked!

Thankful for this hobby. I'm making an unplanned trip in September (again, made one in May when my sister had major surgery. Used my VX travel credit for one of the flights). I ended up paying cash for this ticket because the prices weren't bad (I'll get 5x MR points), but I felt completely comfortable checking all the various ways I could get there just in case there was some good deal on points.

I did miss the mini-CP on SW by 2 days (sister didn't ask for me to come and help -- this time with Mom -- until today). However, we may try for the regular CP in January, so no big deal.

All the input and sharing this thread provides is really helpful, so thanks to everyone here!

I don't think I've opened a new card since March, but was working on an Amex retention offer and now a 2x MRs for 3k spend. It's been nice to have a mental break from 'strategy' for a while since I'm still fairly new to all this. I've got property tax coming up this fall and then a rehearsal dinner in the spring. I *think* it's time for me to PC my CSP to a Freedom and then wait for an elevated bonus, I opened my CSP in Sept 2019. If I downgrade in October, I can wait 30 day and re-apply for CSP?

Thrifty Traveler sent an email about a Flying Blue sale, 25% off. We're booked JFK-CDG-FCO in November and could change that to another flight earlier that day that has the promo rate, which would be nice as we'd have more time in Rome (arriving 9 am local instead of 5 pm!). We'd basically gain a day in Rome, so that's worth the $50 change fee per person.

But the flight schedule worries me with only a bit over one hour layover. Every time I've been to CDG it's taken a while. But I haven't had a connection with the same airline before, I assume I'd still have to collect my luggage and take it through customs, then check it again and go through security, no? If so, I don't know why Air France seems to think this would work. Any thoughts? I'd love to have the miles and get an extra day in Rome

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230901-133534.png
    Screenshot_20230901-133534.png
    55.1 KB · Views: 8
Exciting news! Our DS is finishing his masters in animal nutrition at UF Gainesville and will be starting a new job at the Philadelphia zoo in October! Lots of new changes for him! He needs a new (preferably used) car (Rav 4 or Ford Escape) so will be trading in his F150 truck for something more city friendly. So he may have to get some financing. He will be coming back to Texas to do the truck trading and car purchase towards the end of September. Should I open a new Chase biz card or should he? I'm hoping to put some of the purchase price on a CC. This would be his first biz card. He has a CSF and a SWA priority, and is an AU on my Amex gold, CF, and C1 Venture X. he's 3/5 for Chase. He also wants to set up a bank account in Philadelphia. He said there's a Cap1 cafe bank near the zoo? He says his current bank Regions does not have branches up there. Does anyone know of any bank bonuses with Cap1? He won't have a large amount of money to deposit, but will have direct deposits from his new job. Thanks for any input! I just love this group!

Quick question about a direct DVC purchase and the CSR. DH has a CSP. We have one final payment coming due on a direct DVC purchase. If DH product changes to a CSR, does anyone know if a DVC purchase codes as travel to get the $300 travel credit and 3% in UR? Thanks!
It will code as Travel and get the 3x points. Not sure when if your $300 is available right away. I believe it is but not sure.

Exciting news! Our DS is finishing his masters in animal nutrition at UF Gainesville and will be starting a new job at the Philadelphia zoo in October! Lots of new changes for him! He needs a new (preferably used) car (Rav 4 or Ford Escape) so will be trading in his F150 truck for something more city friendly. So he may have to get some financing. He will be coming back to Texas to do the truck trading and car purchase towards the end of September. Should I open a new Chase biz card or should he? I'm hoping to put some of the purchase price on a CC. This would be his first biz card. He has a CSF and a SWA priority, and is an AU on my Amex gold, CF, and C1 Venture X. he's 3/5 for Chase. He also wants to set up a bank account in Philadelphia. He said there's a Cap1 cafe bank near the zoo? He says his current bank Regions does not have branches up there. Does anyone know of any bank bonuses with Cap1? He won't have a large amount of money to deposit, but will have direct deposits from his new job. Thanks for any input! I just love this group!

Congrats to your son! DH and I have both recently signed up for a $350 Cap One bank bonus. The details are on DOC website under best bank bonuses. Pretty easy requirements. Also, with CapOne you receive access to your paycheck DD a few days early, which is a nice feature.

He also wants to set up a bank account in Philadelphia. He said there's a Cap1 cafe bank near the zoo? He says his current bank Regions does not have branches up there. Does anyone know of any bank bonuses with Cap1? He won't have a large amount of money to deposit, but will have direct deposits from his new job. Thanks for any input! I just love this group!

Why change banks if he is happy with the one he has? My main bank doesn't have a branch within 150 miles and I can't say I missed not having a branch to pop into. Main thing is an account with no fees and a good ATM network (or ATM fee rebates).

Congrats to your DS on the Masters and new job. Exciting times.

Trip report: Golden Circle and South Iceland, 8 nights

Thought I’d share a travel hacking/points based trip report for our August trip to Iceland.

Travel party of 11: Myself and husband, 45 our kids and their SOs, ranging in ages from 10-25, my mother and my niece and her fiance

Vibe: Outdoorsy, family-focused, but mama still needs nice accommodations

Iceland 2023, post #1
We first visited Iceland in 2021 and loved it so much we immediately couldn't wait to book again and bring more peeps with us. We offered to pay for lodging for the entire group, as well as airfare for ourselves/kids (6) plus we paid for any communal food whether dining in or out, so, this trip kind of tops out as one of our most expensive trips. But so, so worth it!

Airfare: cash, about $850/pp economy nonstop ORD-KEF. In 2021, I only paid about $450 for airfare, so even though this was planned about a year out, I kept waiting for a sale and prices did go up by about $150 while I did that, so my advice in this new crazy world is to just book at a price you're comfortable with. I don't find the economy points options to Iceland to be a good value and would rather save my points for international biz class.

Accommodations

Reykjavik Iceland Parliament Hotel Curio Collection by Hilton: 80k pts per nts, but rooms only sleep 2 (this was the only nt everyone stayed/paid for their own lodging). This was a fabulous location in the city, just off the square. Weather was BEAUTIFUL, about 62 degrees and everyone was enjoying summer in the streets and cafes. Really great included Diamond breakfast for both our rooms. Complimentary afternoon drinks at social hour. Also because of Diamond status, access to spa (hot tub, sauna, steam room, cold room, relaxation areas) was also included. Took photos since no one was there but us.

1693592836234.png

IMG_3054.jpeg
IMG_3053.JPEG
IMG_3045.JPEG
Pride Festival had just ended and the whole city went ALL OUT!
IMG_3013.JPEG

1693591983805.png

IMG_3035.JPEG
IMG_3048.JPEG

Golden Circle Cabin (AirBNB) with gated access to Bruarfoss: Loved this location, central to everything in the Golden Circle.

IMG_3085.JPEG
Bruarfoss, gated access, otherwise 3 hour hike round trip

Glass cottages (AirBNB) with waterfall backdrop. Rented 3 of these side by side. Such a magical location right near Seljalands waterfall, which you can walk behind. Next to that is another waterfall inside a crevice.

1693592604609.png
Listing photo

Travel hack tip: I’ve been buying GCs for AirBNB and scoring a 14% savings (Kroger fuel points). I charge this to a Chase cc I’m working towards an MSR. What I like about GCs is that I can change my AirBNB ressie multiple times (or if the host cancels) without worrying about a clawback on an MSR from six months ago. In addition, I book through the British Airways/AirBNB link and earn 3 avios per dollar on every booking, though not sure this always tracks well.

Fosshotel Glacier Lagoon. Booked this through Orbitz due to best pricing but I bet it could be booked with points through a bank portal. This was a good stay and helped break up the long journey to Jokarlson glacier lagoon.

Hotel Vik. Booked directly with hotel, cash, breakfast included. Vik is a good central point on the South Coast to do tours and there is a ton to do and see in the area.

More continued here, here and here

Last edited:
He also wants to set up a bank account in Philadelphia. He said there's a Cap1 cafe bank near the zoo? He says his current bank Regions does not have branches up there. Does anyone know of any bank bonuses with Cap1? He won't have a large amount of money to deposit, but will have direct deposits from his new job. Thanks for any input! I just love this group!

Philly area here: has he looked at PNC? They are the ATMs in Wawa so tons of fee free access to your cash and lots of B&M locations in the area. Bonuses are tiered based on how much monthly direct deposit he'd expect.

Finally getting around to typing a trip report from our Germany trip. Dh did a detailed cost breakdown on a google spreadsheet and it's just taken me some time to actually look at it lol. The trip was Dh, Ds (3), and myself. We had to do a positioning flight in IAD before flying to Munich. This first post will be the cost breakdown and then I'll make a separate post with pictures of where we stayed and the things we went to see.

Airfare
Positioning flight roundtrip MCO to IAD: 96,000 United points + $192 to upgrade to premium economy
IAD to Munich roundtrip in United Polaris: 360,000 United points + $371.25 for taxes and fees
*United points were transferred from Chase URs

Hotels
Positioning hotel near IAD: 49,000 Hilton points
Wunderlocke Apartment Hotel in Munich (6 nights): $1,138.65 (we couldn't get this one through Chase and the Amex redemption was really bad)
Hotel Schlosskrone in Fussen (4 nights): 83,092 URs
Adina Apartment Hotel Nuremberg (4 nights): 58,603 URs
Hilton Munich Airport before flight home: used Hilton free night certificate
Positioning hotel near IAD: 44,000 URs

Rental Cars
We paid for a rental car to get to/from MCO so we wouldn't have to pay for parking at the airport. We also rented a car the entire time we were in Germany.
Rental to/from MCO: $40.95 each way
Rental in Germany: $128 (for some reason Dh was able to get this on a crazy flash sale which was amazing!)

Total cash paid: $1,858.40

However, we completely offset that by doing bank bonuses. We were able to get $2,650 in bank bonuses to cover the cash paid for the trip.

Iceland 2023 experiences, post 3

My favorite hike of the trip was into this slot canyon, located in Thorsmork (Valley of Thor). It was like going back in time. We were the only ones there and if you go all the way to the end, there's Nautgusagill waterfall. For the last portion, you have to climb the canyon walls using chains that have been anchored to the wall and descend the same way.
IMG_3403.JPEG
IMG_3406.JPEG
IMG_3426.JPEG
IMG_3432.JPEG

Nautgusagill canyon and waterfall

IMG_3624.JPEG
IMG_3644.JPEG
IMG_3657.JPEG

Jokulsarlon glacier lagoon and iceburgs

IMG_3671.JPEG
IMG_3681.JPEG

Fjadrargljufur, or as I like to call it, The Land Before Time

Iceland 2023 experiences, post 4

IMG_3709.JPEG

Town of Vik, with its church on the hill and basalt rockss in the sea

IMG_3714.JPEG
"Secret" black sand beach

IMG_3774.JPEG
Dryholaey rock arch

IMG_3753.JPEG
A Puffin!

On our first trip, we said if we went to Iceland again, we would spend more time eating the local food, more time with Icelandic animals and more time on the South Coast. We did all three! We had made such fun family memories. The beauty and the landscape is so jaw droppingly intense and diverse. There's still so much to do and explore in Iceland, I just know we'll be back!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter