I love credit cards so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bummer on the categories. So you're already getting 2%. Missed that. I just got a second Discover to use for cashback this year. Plan on using cash towards 2019 cruise.

I just got the Discover IT card this month; I will probably use the cashback to get discounted gift cards.

I have been a long-time lurker and have started playing the game a bit this year. DH and I both have the CSR and the CIP that we have opened in the past year. We are purchasing solar in the next couple of months and we can put it on cc! Yay! We can also split it between 2 cards. I want to get the best bonuses available right now. Part of me is thinking the Marriott 120k bonus. We could each get it and get 240k points right? Does that card also come with a free night? Is that free night available right away? Is there a better card we should be thinking about? I am loving the ability to travel for less! We have already flown to Hawaii on just points and look forward to lots more points funded trips! Thanks in advance for the help! This forum seems so friendly and helpful that it made me brave enough to finally ask for help!

I saw on Reddit that people are setting up a 529 for themselves deposit GOC gift cards and then getting a withdrawal. Contributions don’t have the 10% penalty only gains. Does anyone do this here? I have no clue what type of 529 I should set up if I don’t want a high risk investments and I want a low expense ratio. My parents have a 529 set up for me, but the fund has a few dollars since I’m in my last semester of grad school. Maybe I can use that?

I read a comment somewhere (Frequent Miler maybe?) that accounts are getting shut down for this.

I have been a long-time lurker and have started playing the game a bit this year. DH and I both have the CSR and the CIP that we have opened in the past year. We are purchasing solar in the next couple of months and we can put it on cc! Yay! We can also split it between 2 cards. I want to get the best bonuses available right now. Part of me is thinking the Marriott 120k bonus. We could each get it and get 240k points right? Does that card also come with a free night? Is that free night available right away? Is there a better card we should be thinking about? I am loving the ability to travel for less! We have already flown to Hawaii on just points and look forward to lots more points funded trips! Thanks in advance for the help! This forum seems so friendly and helpful that it made me brave enough to finally ask for help!

You get the free night on your year anniversary. Its category 1 - 5 hotels only, and I have a hard time finding those. We got the cards for the points, but I'm planning to cancel ours since I can't get good use of the free night. The bonus points are hard to pass up though. Go for it!

Don't want a new card at this point. Waiting to fall below 5/25 so I can get the Chase Freedom Unlimited.

Thought you had to be under 5/24 to apply for a chase business card?

The Chase Marriott Premier business card is not subject to 5/24. It also won’t add to your */24 count.

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/chas...tail-need-know/#What_Cards_Aren8217t_Affected

Chase released a new offer for this card just a few days ago: 75,000 Marriott Rewards points after $3,000 in spend within the first three months. The clincher is the annual fee of $99 is waived in the first year.

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/chas...siness-75000-points-no-annual-fee-first-year/

Last edited:

So Is there a way to use ur points to book a campsite at Disney? Also does anyone know if they ever offer a discount on the campsite? Thanks

See my post about this. I was able to successfully make a discounted reservation direct with Disney and then transfer it over to Chase and use UR points to pay for it. Just remember you have to do it within 30 days of the reservation being created and just make the minimum payment with Disney. Also I found out that you don't need all the UR points right now, you can wait until final payment due date to make the payment with Chase using UR points.

https://www.disboards.com/threads/i-love-credit-cards-so-much.3528202/page-661#post-58705303

Welcome!

@Albort just signed up for the Marriott card under the 120k offer. He’d know.

I just got a second Discover to use for cashback this year. Plan on using cash towards 2019 cruise.

I'm in a similar situation as @trenty...a big purchase without a new card to use for min spend :sad:. To add insult to injury, my Discover year ends tomorrow and I don't have the bill! So my question is, how hard was it for you to get your second Discover card? I've run through other options (new Amex but the company doesn't take amex), one of the Chase that doesn't fall under 5/24 but my last Chase was in Nov and I don't want to anger them, so I think getting a second Discover might be my best option...or getting 4000 UR which seems like just a waste. Sigh...first world problems for sure.

Why not get a new Amex or Chase business card that won’t count against your 5/24?

Thanks. I just got the Discover. I plan to wait a bit before getting a new card, and I don't plan to get any business cards.

The Chase Marriott Premier business card is not subject to 5/24. It also won’t add to your */24 count.

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/chas...tail-need-know/#What_Cards_Aren8217t_Affected

Chase released a new offer for this card just a few days ago: 75,000 Marriott Rewards points after $3,000 in spend within the first three months. The clincher is the annual fee of $99 is waived in the first year.

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/chas...siness-75000-points-no-annual-fee-first-year/

These are good offers, but I am not interested in Marriott points at this time. Maybe in the future at some point.

I'm in a similar situation as @trenty...a big purchase without a new card to use for min spend :sad:. To add insult to injury, my Discover year ends tomorrow and I don't have the bill! So my question is, how hard was it for you to get your second Discover card? I've run through other options (new Amex but the company doesn't take amex), one of the Chase that doesn't fall under 5/24 but my last Chase was in Nov and I don't want to anger them, so I think getting a second Discover might be my best option...or getting 4000 UR which seems like just a waste. Sigh...first world problems for sure.

I am hoping the furniture store takes Samsung Pay - then the purchase will go on my Freedom. :-)

Why? Amex is supposed to be pretty easy with their business card approvals.

So I've heard but I literally generate zero income being a mom and dog owner. Zero. We had a rental property several years ago and I was an idiot and didn't apply for any business cards then but since then I volunteer and nag my child. While variably rewarding :-)rolleyes1) nothing created income wise.
I guess if I considered juggling everyone we need to keep the house going (pool lady, yard guy, housekeeper) THAT could be a "job" but it would definitely be a money losing proposition. Trust me, I've been trying to think of something, especially with the SPG/Marriott changes!

All this talk about new cards! And here I am still slogging away at the SPG Biz $10k spend for 35k Starpoints...

Feel the same. I took on 8k spend across 4 mos and I feel like I am missing out on all the great Freedom categories plus now, the Marriott biz offer and I'd love to have that Discover card too.

I'm not sure what I was thinking when I applied for the spg personal for my dh. We have a hard time with 5k spend in 3 mos but to add another 3k of spend less than a month into the 5k spend was pure lunacy :headache:

Small credit unions are kind of the last ones that still work. Them and Mr. Cooper. lol. If you need help setting up the payment, we're here to help! It also helps if there's nothing that says "mortgage" in your payment.

oh it's been awhile since I followed this, but it just happens that my mortgage was recently bought out by Mr Cooper, so should I be using plastic to gt me some points? what's the current % rate for what they charge, gotta figure if it's worth it, or get me a new card to use this feature.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter