New ticket system coming to WDW - Begins October 16th

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do not believe they are going to punish those who don't buy packages but I can see them possibly doing something different for those who don't purchase their tickets from Disney directly.
I wonder too, what percentage of DVC don't buy the DVC AP? Do you feel it's high? I sort of assumed (always bad I know) most did

I know we don't have all the information yet but from what others have posted it sure looks like Disney is focusing on packages as being able to use the tickets for length of stay - nothing has been said so far about room only with tickets purchased directly from Disney.

Not really sure of the numbers but I think there are a fair amount of DVC members that do not purchase the DVC AP. Many DVCers only take 1 trip a year or every other year depending on how many points they have. Before moving to Florida the only time I had a AP was if we knew in advance we were doing multiple trips in a year. If we were only doing 1 trip or before DVC got a discount on APs we always purchased tickets for the number of days we were there.

We bought an AP because it was just so cost effective to do so but doesn't Universal have their pricing exactly like Disney is switching their to?

I don't have any experience with Universal so wasn't aware that was the way they do it. I can easily see Disney following suit, especially since they took the time to add it to the video. That was purposely done in my eyes.

No, Universal doesn't have the same as Disney's NEW pricing structure. Their promotional/special offer tickets (which often include "free" days) do have restrictions such as must use by X dates or can't use during Y dates though they aren't a varied price depending on day of the week but not non-promotional tickets.

The non-promotional/special offer tickets are valid any time.

Their promotion/special offer tickets change too depending on what Universal wants to include. For instance when we were buying tickets back in 2016 the offer was buy a 2-day park-to-park get 1 day free (also park-to-park); presently you can get a ticket that is a 2-day 2-park park-to-park get 2 days free or a 2-day 3-park (includes Volcano Bay) park-to-park get 2 days free and there's a non-park-to-park version. There's just restrictions with it in terms of "must be used by, can't be used on" days and FWIW the "can't be used on" dates presently only include December 26th-31st.

Universal does have the same pricing structure when it comes to 1-day tickets (different pricing depending when you go) but not for multi-day tickets. And now with the new pricing structure Disney will be different.

Now Universal DOES have dynamic pricing when it comes to their Express Pass AND HHN (Halloween Horror Nights) but at least for the HHN part that's the same as what Disney does anyways for their hard ticket events.

In case this hasn't been answered and someone is wondering about mailed UT tickets...via chat UT confirmed that even if the mailed ticket (card) isn't linked to MDE until after 10/16, they will retain the same value through their expiration with no add'l costs added. I intentionally purchased mailed tix because I still don't have a definitive if all my young adult children will be able to join us on our Dec trip...I wanted to be able to get a refund if it didn't work out. My 30 day fast pass window opens in mid November, which is when I intended to link them. So no worries there, thankfully.

In case this hasn't been answered and someone is wondering about mailed UT tickets...via chat UT confirmed that even if the mailed ticket (card) isn't linked to MDE until after 10/16, they will retain the same value through their expiration with no add'l costs added. I intentionally purchased mailed tix because I still don't have a definitive if all my young adult children will be able to join us on our Dec trip...I wanted to be able to get a refund if it didn't work out. My 30 day fast pass window opens in mid November, which is when I intended to link them. So no worries there, thankfully.
For those following along, a ticket, if purchased prior to October 16th, does not fall under the new Ticket structuring. It doesn’t matter when you link the hard ticket or eticket as long as you use it before it expires.

(first time I'm posting on these boards! I've learned so much already here, though.) What would you do? I'm planning a trip in May but have been holding off on booking anything - room, tickets, flights - because there's a smidge of uncertainty in our dates and I'm slightly concerned about my father's health (trip is for me, my husband, two kids, my parents). Definitely want to stay on-site. Seems like my options are:
1) continue waiting until late October until I feel much more confident about our dates and risk paying more
2) book room only reservations now and get tickets from Undercover Tourist now (my original plan was to do this in late October)
3) book room and ticket package now from Disney
Is there an option that makes the most sense to any of you more versed in these details? Does getting the package from Disney give me more flexibility if I have to make changes than doing room and tickets separately? I'm guessing second week of May will not be peak season for the date-dependent ticket prices, but we also would only be getting park tickets for 3 days with a 5 night stay. Trying to balance saving money with not locking myself into a trip too early. Of course booking flights is another issue entirely! Many thanks for any insight!

Welcome! Sorry I don't have answers for you, just welcome!:wizard:

Prepare for the worst, this was not done to reduce the cost and spread the crowds around, it is being done to generate more revenue. Disney is spending a lot of money and they need more to justify these enhancements to the parks that have been neglected over the last several years.

So when do we find out what the prices for particular days are? I need to know whether to buy tickets for my January trip now, or wait for the new pricing. Is it available yet?

We always do our Universal trips at the beginning or end. Do most really do theirs in the middle of their Disney stay? Why?
If we combine Universal and Disney, we have also always done a Universal trip before/after Disney, only have to move resort accomodations once that way.

So what happens if a park reaches capacity like Christmas week? Someone has set days now (let’s say they did not get the flex option.) Are they allowed in? Will certain dates “sell out” of tickets way ahead of time and people will just not be able to book tickets on those days?

So what happens if a park reaches capacity like Christmas week? Someone has set days now (let’s say they did not get the flex option.) Are they allowed in? Will certain dates “sell out” of tickets way ahead of time and people will just not be able to book tickets on those days?
All 4 parks have never closed to capacity at the same time. So you may not get into the park you want, but you should always be able to get into a park.

The only guest impacted by any recent level of closure were those walking up to buy one day tickets at the gate and some cast member passes. All others have been allowed in. So it's unlikely to be an issue

Last edited:
The video itself says prices shown do not reflect actual pricing. People should disregard all of those prices.
Maybe those are the prices for SOME days (Like the lowest possible)? They have to put that disclaimer because you know as well as I do if they didn't someone would say "your video said the price is X why is my price Y?"

Thoughts:

- Suppose I buy a ticket for a holiday week, but I have an emergency and cannot travel ... now I want to use the ticket for a low-attendance week. Is Disney going to refund me? (Doubtful.)
- How's this going to work with authorized ticket sellers?
- The ONE ticket perk for which I'd be willing to pay would be NON-EXPIRATION.
- Is anyone else offended by the way Disney is pretending this price increase /ticket length decrease is presented to us as a way to better serve the customer?

The longer your ticket the cheaper the ticket. However you are still subject to the pricing of the calendar.
Clarification: The longer your ticket, the cheaper your per-day price. A longer ticket has a larger total price.

Thoughts:

- Suppose I buy a ticket for a holiday week, but I have an emergency and cannot travel ... now I want to use the ticket for a low-attendance week. Is Disney going to refund me? (Doubtful.)
- How's this going to work with authorized ticket sellers?
- The ONE ticket perk for which I'd be willing to pay would be NON-EXPIRATION.

Clarification: The longer your ticket, the cheaper your per-day price. A longer ticket has a larger total price.
The resellers have been trained already. They seem satisfied from what little they've said

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter