School bus test run this morning... summer is almost over!

ACK! Our school system uses an app that allows us to know when school bus is near house, might be late, etc.
I got a notification this morning, and sure enough... the bus pulled up to the house right on time. They are obviously making test runs.

They don't start back until August 12, which is a week later than last year... but still almost a month earlier than we went back to school as kids.

I hope the kids are making the most of their "Free" time!
I know... we're in the same boat. Kidsgo back 8/5 and we saw buses out running their routes this morning. We also just got bsck from Disney last night so we're in a mini depression over here.

The public schools around me go back the first week in August, but my kids school starts back on August 8th. One school system near me started July 30 or 31 last year. It's crazy.

You made me go check to see if the bus schedule has been posted yet. No dice. My oldest got super lucky and was the last stop on the route in the mornings, crossing our fingers they keep it the same this year. That means an extra 30 mins of sleep.

My daughter starts back on July 31st, her Senior Year! They receive 2 weeks off in October, 2 weeks for Christmas and 2 weeks for Spring Break, ending the school year around Memorial Day. They run on semester schedule with 1st semester ending at Christmas. The summer is painfully short, and there have been some summer opportunities for educational camps she has not been able to participate in because of the short summers and going back so early, but other than that it has worked out well!

Look out for the class of 2020 thread or start one your self it's a dis tradition from my understanding

We've already done the school supply run, otherwise you get slim 'pickins.

School here gets out by Memorial Day and starts back in early August.
As a kid, we always got out Memorial Day and went back last week of August.

They are moving toward more of a year-round calendar with less downtime in between.

The calendar is wonky, not sure how families where both parents work manage it.

They have:
Fall break (early October)
Thanksgiving week
winter holiday from around Dec 21 to Jan 7.
Spring break (April)
Traditional holidays like labor day, mlk day, etc
And several teacher work days wrapped into 4 day weekends.

What’s milk day?

Students head back Monday. I’m a teacher and start day after tomorrow. Already looking forward to our two week break in October.

My kids here in NW Ohio found out their teachers yesterday and we have a majority of our school supply completed. We leave for WDW 8/1 and get home 8/12. That night is move in/open house for DS and then DD has hers the following night and they go back on the 14th. They get out the Friday before Memorial Day which to me is crazy because weather here the end of May/beginning of June - and this year almost to July - is never really great. I'd much rather go into June and then start after Labor Day.

Students head back Monday. I’m a teacher and start day after tomorrow. Already looking forward to our two week break in October.
We were having a discussion in the newsroom this morning about back to school, and two of our co-workers have children that went back YESTERDAY.

Paid the back to school registration donations yesterday. My son gets his schedule August 1st and goes back to school August 5th. They are done May 20th.

Summer "break" hasn't even started. Sure, the kids aren't in school, but DS has been so involved in sports, he literally had four days from the end of last (2018-2019) season before tryouts for HS. First pre season games are this weekend.

I remember the “good old days” when school started after Labor Day. To this day, I still get a stomach ache on the evening of Labor Day even though I am a teacher who starts school on the last week of August.

5 more weeks to go. The fifth week consisting of doctors appointments, a dentist appointment, hair appointment, and a pedicure. Oh, and I don’t want to forget setting up my classroom.
LOL, the good old days, when school started after Labor Day and went to nearly the end of June!

LOL, the good old days, when school started after Labor Day and went to nearly the end of June!

And those of us who have this don't mind.
Here in VA, as of July 1 can have individual school districts to start 2 weeks BEFORE the usual time.
It will be interesting to see if and which districts will be forgoing the old Kings Dominion law.

My boys graduated high school in 2014 & 2015. They went back after Labor Day and got out about the first week of June...can't quite recall their specific times off but I think they got 1/2 week over Thanksgiving, 10 days or 2 weeks depending on how the holidays fell for Christmas/New Years. Week for spring break, and 4 day weekend for Easter.

And those of us who have this don't mind.
I would hate to have that because it'd be hot already and no chance for some good weather. At least with getting out around Memorial Day (excessive snow days aside) you get good weather. It stays hot into mid to late September too so getting back Labor day wouldn't help either.

But really it's all what you get used to though no right or wrong.

My kids go back after Labor Day. They got out mid-June. I have not been to Target, but I'll bet school supplies are out, and Halloween decorations will be up before the end of summer.

That drives me nuts as well. It's still summer here!!

DGD starts tomorrow!! First grade!!

They have 2 weeks in Oct., 2 weeks in Dec. and 2 weeks in March. Get out around Memorial Day

Wow, that is early! (But the October break and getting out in May, might be worth it.)

School starts 8/19 for us, we have been out since the week before Memorial Day. Oldest goes off to college this year, he moves in 8/16.

I wouldn't mind not going back until after Labor Day, but I don't want to go to school (I work there) in June. To me, summer starts Memorial Day weekend, and we usually vacation the week of M-Day or the first week of June.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter