• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I can't do winter anymore!

I kid you not, this is the primary reason we moved our family. DW was born and raised in New Jersey, went to grad school in Syracuse.

DH also went to grad school in Syracuse, and we were there for 5 long, cold, snowy, grey winters. Of course, I grew up outside of Boston and he was outside of Cleveland, so we were used to it. The 3 years we spent in San Francisco while he did his post-doc were heaven! :sunny: Since then, we've been in the Boston area, East Lansing, MI, Lewisburg, PA, and now Orono, ME. We keep saying we can't do another winter, yet here we still are. I would like to find someplace where it's 65-85 year-round... that sounds WONDERFUL right now! :beach:

(We've been outside decorating for the past 2 hours. It's 38 degrees today, overcast, fortunately no breeze... but I am freezing, and winter hasn't even begun! :sad2: )

We live in hot sticky Florida and are coming into the cold weather next week.
Decided last minute to go and see the tree in Rockefeller Center next weekend. Forecast right now if freezing with snow/rain. Crazy but I am excited in spite of the forecast. Don't want the rain just the snow.

Here we are, staring down another 3-4 months of cold, ice, snow, wind, and miserable weather. Every year, for the 14 years I've lived here, I have sworn it was the last winter here. And yet, here I am, still anchored to this area. Still freezing, still aching, still dreading each low temp.

Hear my declaration now: this time next year I will be packing a moving truck and heading for a warmer climate!

Anyone else hate winter a dreaming of sunnier skies?

Opposite here. I'm still waiting for cool weather. Today is 78 - tomorrow is supposed to be 80.

Fascinating. Well I should say for me :laughing:, I love weather. There are often a few days, usually in the spring, where Niagara Falls is ten degrees warmer. It's a ninety minute drive.

Extremely short distances too. Like I said I get very little snow downtown. But go fifty minutes north and it's usually a winter wonderland. Heck our city's major highway, fifteen minutes away, is a snow line.

For me, New York City area weather is perfection (besides city wind tunnels! :sick:). Four seasons. But you can kiss spring so much earlier. And get more off days of warmth in the fall and winter. :thumbsup2:goodvibes

My sister lived in Ft Collins, CO for 3 years. They were tucked up to the eastern slope of the mountains. Winter storms coming over the mountains would kind of skip over them leaving 4-5 inches of snow, and then dump 2 feet on Greeley just 30 miles East.

Here we are, staring down another 3-4 months of cold, ice, snow, wind, and miserable weather. Every year, for the 14 years I've lived here, I have sworn it was the last winter here. And yet, here I am, still anchored to this area. Still freezing, still aching, still dreading each low temp.

Hear my declaration now: this time next year I will be packing a moving truck and heading for a warmer climate!

Anyone else hate winter a dreaming of sunnier skies?

Wow, can sympathize with you!!! Lived in Georgetown when dh was transferred there for 2 years. Was a miserable time between snow ice and a developed rag weed allergy
Deep South LA gal and love the heat!!!

Wow, can sympathize with you!!! Lived in Georgetown when dh was transferred there for 2 years. Was a miserable time between snow ice and a developed rag weed allergy
Deep South LA gal and love the heat!!!

ugh, yes, the allergies. I spent most days of the year sneezing, itchting, watery eyes, puffy eyes, random allergic rashes. I'm convinced I must be allergic to the entire state!

I would love a little more snow here in NC but I guess the "grass is always greener. My family moved here from Ohio when I was an infant. I am almost fifty and have no desire to move. I will say though the amount of people moving here from the north is huge!

I like all 4 seasons including winter. It gives you the opportunity to do the stuff you can't when there isn't snow on the ground like winter hikes, cross country skiing, snowshoeing, and taking the dogs out for some winter activities. I prefer snowier winter's to the few dry ones we have had lately. Hibernating for the winter months is a waste of perfectly good time.

I never really got the dislike if winter. Just get the proper clothing and an all wheel drive vehicle and go have fun.

I agree 100%.

Still waiting impatiently for winter to arrive...

I live in Canada and there is no where in the entire country you can move for a warm winters unless you leave the country:sad1:
Nope - the "best" Canada has to offer is the west coast, with weather pretty much like Seattle's. I could get used to the mild temperatures but the endless rain and dreary grey skies would drive this "prairie sunshine" girl crazy pretty quick. :sunny:

I think Canada seems like a wonderful country, but I could not deal with those winters! We have family in Canada, and they once lived in Goose Bay, and the photos they would send of snow falls taller than their privacy fence...yikes!
There are so many different winter climates in Canada - all of them terrible! :laughing: We're on the edge of the Rocky Mountains and it really doesn't snow very much here at all. But winter settled in on November 1 and it may still be snowing on the May long weekend. We've already had a day or two where it was -25C (13 below F). And if the cold doesn't get you, the darkness will. Right now the sun is just coming up around 8:00 am and it will be dusk by 4:30 pm. But yay us! :cheer2: We're only weeks away from the longest night of the year and then we can start counting back up to 19 hours of daylight in summer!

...I would like to find someplace where it's 65-85 year-round... that sounds WONDERFUL right now! :beach:

(We've been outside decorating for the past 2 hours. It's 38 degrees today, overcast, fortunately no breeze... but I am freezing, and winter hasn't even begun! :sad2: )
They tell me San Diego is like that. It's a lovely place to visit - maybe you should move there? :thumbsup2

Not sure where you're located but I'm in the Niagara Falls/Buffalo NY area and while I'm not a huge fan of cold and snow I'll take 7ft of lake effect and wind chills of -30 during a blizzard over areas that are known for numerous tornadoes, hurricanes, or earthquakes any day.

Today its 48 and sunny.
Wednesday night into Thursday its going to be crazy lake effect. If I didn't have to be to a doctor appointment Thursday morning I would not mind it at all.

:wave: Hi from the southtowns! And I totally agree with you. We got the 7 feet in 24 hours & were snowed in for 3 days. While 20 minutes away, nothing. I hate winter, but I think hurricaines, tornadoes & wild fires would be much worse.

It can snow Thursday. But it better stop so we can get out of here to Disney World on Saturday morning!!

I'm originally from So Dak but have lived longer in CO so I am very familiar with snow. Winter is my favorite season. I could never move away. I need all four seasons.

I used to think I hated winter until we stopped having one! It's 70 today, storms tomorrow, and it's finally going to get "cold" on Tuesday. We don't even own real coats and we're not that far south. I want to wear my fuzzy boots and hoodies, and drink hot coffee and cocoa instead of iced. I want to be able to wear long sleeves for longer than a couple hours in the morning before I'm sweating. We basically have a tiny bit of spring, a couple weeks of fall, a few days of winter here and there mixed with random 70 degree days, and then summer that lasts for what feels like forever.

I love reading everyone's thoughts..."the grass is always greener" definitely seems to apply to this thread!

:wave: Hi from the southtowns! And I totally agree with you. We got the 7 feet in 24 hours & were snowed in for 3 days. While 20 minutes away, nothing. I hate winter, but I think hurricaines, tornadoes & wild fires would be much worse.

It can snow Thursday. But it better stop so we can get out of here to Disney World on Saturday morning!!

Good vibes headed your way.
According to WKBW Wednesday night straight through the weekend is supposed to be lake effect and then general snow fall.
Thursday morning is just supposed to be the worst which is of course the day I have to be to a Dr appt at 9:30am and back home by 11am to watch a toddler but I'm going to warn the parents that if the weather does not cooperate it may not be nearly as easy as it was supposed to be.

I was born and raised in the San Francisco Bay Area and never left. I even went to college here. Today it's a chilly 59 degrees, but we're supposed to reach a high of 70 by Wednesday. There's no rain in sight right now, although it's always welcome to keep us out of a drought. We get a few hot days each summer, but they come in spurts. We'll get a hot spell with temps in the 90s or even low 100s, then it will drop to the 80s for several weeks. I'm not a fan of being hot and would never choose to live anywhere with consistently hot summers. My DS is in college in Miami. He says he loves the heat. I was able to take it for a week while we got him settled, then I was ready to come home! I would say we have a very desirable climate here, but we pay for it with ridiculous housing prices!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter