• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I love credit cards so much! v5.0 - 2022 (see first page for add'l details)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am having a SW issue. They dropped our return route to our local airport and have rerouted us. Except the route they put us on has the second segment leaving hours before the first segment has even arrived. Apparently they've invented teletransportation at Southwest, or they want me to parachute out and swim. Sigh.

View attachment 648169

I spent HOURs on chat this morning. They won't send me to the other airport near me without charging a fare difference. They won't change one of the segments to a different connecting airport- kept saying that's changing the city pairs, uh no. After spending hours on this for 10 passengers, I am nowhere and I just want to cry. I cannot even cancel or modify this on my own online- it won't allow it.

I wouldn't even take two connections to get to Europe and now that's what I am being forced into it to get home from the Caribbean.

Twitter doesn't respond. Chat is useless. Anyone know how to actually talk with a human supervisor who can make some headway on this?
what a mess. Hope you can get it worked out. You might want to wait a couple of days before calling, seems like they are overwhelmed with calls.

SW has been letting down so many people. We have so many SW points + CP (working on CP2, I'm not really sure that was the right move). But then again all airlines are making way too many flight changes. I have Delta, United, American & SW flights booked and they've all but Delta have messed with my flights.

Was anyone able to use the US Bank Business Leverage card to pay a mortgage with Plastiq? I just got it and I tried to use it to pay my mortgage and it's saying Visa doesn't allow it for personal cards. It says that business cards can be used which is what I'm doing but it won't let me continue.

ETA: It looks like US Bank blocks mortgage payments on all credit cards. Should have done my research first.

Visa doesn't allow mortgage payments. I don't think it matters which issuer or personal vs biz. Neither does Amex. Mastercard allows it though.

This is super weird. But Andysol posted some of his DIY "Adventures by Disney" by Andysol on reddit years ago. I have one saved about Egypt, but have spent (way too long) stalking through his/your history and can't find any others. Did anyone save those comments by any chance or know how I could pull them up?

I believe I’ve read here and on Reddit that Chase usually wants to see that she’s had 1 year of credit history on her own before applying at Chase

I want her to have a second credit card as a back up to the BoA Visa she's an AU on. Should I add her to another one of mine? Maybe my CIP? It's a business card so won't show up on her credit report, so that might be good, since she already has one as an AU.

I'm trying to figure out what credit card we should have out 18 year old soon to be college freshman. We have her as a user on our BOA Cash Rewards Visa, but I'd like to get her a credit card for travel perks since she'll most likely be going to college in Arizona (we are in NJ) and flying back and forth a lot. She also has a business on Etsy, so maybe she should apply for a CIP?

Here are the cards I have:

Chase Sapphire Preferred
Chase Ink Preferred Bus
Chase Marriott Pref Business
Chase Marriott Premier Plus
Chase Freedom Unlimited
Chase United MPE
Amex Travel Card
Amex Everyday (I'm a user on my husband's)
Chase Sapphire Reserve (husband only)

My kids all started with Discover. They are usually pretty easy to get for students. Once she has had it awhile then try Chase. Chase does have a student Freedom Card you can try, I believe you can even support from your Freedom Unlimited. Mine went straight to Freedom Unlimited after the Discover and did not go for the student card. What kind of travel perks are you wanting?

Man, I had a Dosh booboo. I just happened to notice they had 15% back at Maurices. I don't usually go there but was in desperate need for some jeans and thought I would give them a try since I was in that area anyway. Found 2 pair I liked, YAY, and paid for it and looked for the cash back to pop up and it never did. I went back to check the terms and it says for Visa/ Mastercard only. I used my Amex as that is my MSR right now. Grrrrr, I have never noticed one specifying a certain card before. Now I need to figure out if I just say F it and keep them anyway or attempt to return them and repurchase. I am not usually in that area but will be close again tomorrow. But I will have DH with me and he will think I am loco for doing it. lol It is about $9.

My kids all started with Discover. They are usually pretty easy to get for students. Once she has had it awhile then try Chase. Chase does have a student Freedom Card you can try, I believe you can even support from your Freedom Unlimited. Mine went straight to Freedom Unlimited after the Discover and did not go for the student card. What kind of travel perks are you wanting?

DS also had Discover as his first card when he was 19. Just over a year later, and unable to resist the allure of the 100k UR CSP offer, I took a chance and had him apply - was instantly approved. Of course, I was the one who had to meet the MSR, but I also get the benefit of most of the UR's. :D

United miles mainly.

United miles mainly.

DD did get a CIP years ago while in college just to transfer to United Miles for her study abroad plane ticket. But she did have the Discover first so not sure if that helped. Now the MSR is so high that spend is not even possible for her. And I couldn't help her with that much spend either. I may be in the minority, but I let my kids keep their own points even if I have to help them meet MSR a little. Though they have mostly done it on their own. DS right now is going for his FU bonus and he only has to spend $500 and I am not sure he will make it. lol He spends so little money, I am not even sure why he decided to finally go for it. He lives on campus with the dining plan so there is very little he needs. And he somehow has managed to spend very little on text books over his 4 semesters so far. He told me he would just donate to charity to meet the spend of whatever he has left. Well, that is very nice of you, but kind of defeats the whole purpose of getting the sign up bonus for free. lol Though I don't want to discourage his generosity.

DS also had Discover as his first card when he was 19. Just over a year later, and unable to resist the allure of the 100k UR CSP offer, I took a chance and had him apply - was instantly approved. Of course, I was the one who had to meet the MSR, but I also get the benefit of most of the UR's. :D

Older DD applied and got it, younger DD applied and was denied. I think her income was too low. Though now that I have her W2s in hand I think she actually underreported her income. I am not sure what income they are looking for. At the time she was not 21 so technically could not put down our contribution to her income as I understand it.

DD did get a CIP years ago while in college just to transfer to United Miles for her study abroad plane ticket. But she did have the Discover first so not sure if that helped. Now the MSR is so high that spend is not even possible for her. And I couldn't help her with that much spend either. I may be in the minority, but I let my kids keep their own points even if I have to help them meet MSR a little. Though they have mostly done it on their own. DS right now is going for his FU bonus and he only has to spend $500 and I am not sure he will make it. lol He spends so little money, I am not even sure why he decided to finally go for it. He lives on campus with the dining plan so there is very little he needs. And he somehow has managed to spend very little on text books over his 4 semesters so far. He told me he would just donate to charity to meet the spend of whatever he has left. Well, that is very nice of you, but kind of defeats the whole purpose of getting the sign up bonus for free. lol Though I don't want to discourage his generosity.

Maybe he would be interested in Kiva. They do microloans. It would be supporting a charity but with the potential to get the money back.

I want her to have a second credit card as a back up to the BoA Visa she's an AU on. Should I add her to another one of mine? Maybe my CIP? It's a business card so won't show up on her credit report, so that might be good, since she already has one as an AU.
From what I’m reading here I’d have her apply for her own discover card so she has one card in her name…
.you can add her as an employee on your CIP too

From what I’m reading here I’d have her apply for her own discover card so she has one card in her name…
.you can add her as an employee on your CIP too

I wonder if she would qualify for her own BoA visa. We bank there so not sure if it would give her an edge. I think I'm going to add her to my CIP as an employee. Thanks.

Also, should I get her on Credit Karma to track her credit scores? Anyone have their kid on there?

Thanks again.

Maybe he would be interested in Kiva. They do microloans. It would be supporting a charity but with the potential to get the money back.

Thanks. I have never heard of that. I think he would really like that. Which does make me nervous. lol He would honestly give most of his money away if he could. DH and I worry he will live in our basement forever because he is so anti money. lol Though he does enjoy his job so unless he is going to work somewhere for free, then hopefully he won't have issues. Hoping it is just a phase and once he is in the "real" world he will see money is a necessity. DDs certainly never went through this phase though. lol

I wonder if she would qualify for her own BoA visa. We bank there so not sure if it would give her an edge. I think I'm going to add her to my CIP as an employee. Thanks.

Also, should I get her on Credit Karma to track her credit scores? Anyone have their kid on there?

Thanks again.
My experience with BOA and my son getting a BOA card when he started college dates back to 2005 when they were giving out credit cards to college kids like candy…he had no problem getting a card then..it did have a $500 CL….no idea how hard/easy it is now

no Issues with her getting credit karma….seems like it would be good for her to watch her score

For amex can I chat to move cl from one card to another or do I need to call?

I would for any age though I'd also consider freezing a kids credit until there needs to be access.
AmEx has an online feature to make that request.

I'm trying to figure out what credit card we should have out 18 year old soon to be college freshman. We have her as a user on our BOA Cash Rewards Visa, but I'd like to get her a credit card for travel perks since she'll most likely be going to college in Arizona (we are in NJ) and flying back and forth a lot. She also has a business on Etsy, so maybe she should apply for a CIP?

Here are the cards I have:

Chase Sapphire Preferred
Chase Ink Preferred Bus
Chase Marriott Pref Business
Chase Marriott Premier Plus
Chase Freedom Unlimited
Chase United MPE
Amex Travel Card
Amex Everyday (I'm a user on my husband's)
Chase Sapphire Reserve (husband only)
I believe I’ve read here and on Reddit that Chase usually wants to see that she’s had 1 year of credit history on her own before applying at Chase
I can attest to that. Last year DD 21 was added as an AU to our cards and that gave her a credit score of 710 or so, when she previously lacked any credit to even generate one. This week she applied for a Chase IHG and was denied for lack of revolving accounts and no established investment/financial relationship with Chase.
She needs to build a relationship with Chase, I would start her out with a Freedom card, then after a year of good credit history try for a cobrand card. Chase usually wants a couple of years of history before they start giving premium travel cards (like CSP/CSR)

If you want her to have travel benefits I would just make her an AU on the CSP or CSR.

The easiest credit card for students to apply for is the Discover Card. I think there is a Chase card marketed to students as well.

As for household income, all sources count, including allowances from the bank of Mom & Dad.

Both my girls were AU on my Discover for years and they both got there own Discover while in college.

Maybe its time to convince DD23 to start being a churning player. It's just that she no longer is in my household to combine into my account and she is too busy working to have the time to travel with any points she accumulates. Lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter